Fresh from the rumor department comes a supposed Wii 2 console leak being reported by Maxconsole.net. The leak apparently originates on/from the French gaming site Logic-sunrise.com, however I dug into the site a bit myself with Google Translate and couldn’t find any trace of the information Maxconsole claimed to be getting from them. It could be that it wasn’t posted on the French site itself although that wouldn’t make much sense.
All in all, the rumored “leak” states that Nintendo is working on a Wii sequel with the following:
- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.
Update: Assuming this is true, you can add the probability of Netflix coming to the next generation Wii as well.
A next gen Nintendo console? I’m not even sure I would know what to do with myself. At this point, things are far from confirmed, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if this, or something close to it, turned out to be true. Nintendo, while making a killing in the casual market, could have competition from Microsoft’s Project Natal at some point and this type of advancement could have Nintendo gobbling up more of the market like Yoshi on an all night eating spree.