Valve has announced that a limited beta for a gigantic Counter-Strike: Source update is now available via Steam. You must own the full game to be able to install the beta, but once it has been tested satisfactorily, “the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.”
There may not even be any places left in the beta (Valve fans mobilise quickly), but this is still a massive bit of news for PC gamers. Counter-Strike: Source has been massively popular for years with no updates, and for Valve to update it now is just a testament to how much they respect their players. The list of changes to come is after the jump.
Features new to the beta
* 144 achievements added
* New lifetime player stats and summary screens
* New match player stats and summary screens
* New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
* Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
* New cinematic death camera
* New domination and revenge system
* Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
* Incorporated many source engine updates
Seems to be an attempt to bring CS:S into the modern era. I still maintain that it’s a better game than either Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2 in the multiplayer department, and this update just brings the only things those games have over it. Valve, you’ve done it again.