Sony announced today that the firmware update v3.40 for the PlayStation 3 will soon be available, adding the PlayStation Plus subscription service, enhancements to communication between PlayStation Network users and enhanced Facebook accounts, along with other new features.
Here are the main updated features from the PS3 v3.40 firmware update:
- PlayStation®Plus: A new subscription service package on PlayStation®Network, PlayStation Plus offers gamers exclusive services and content on June 29, 2010, worldwide. PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership* to PlayStation Plus, providing members with new options to enhance their gaming experience and enable them to gain a special set of features and content. All PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to its unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive content, services and community focused tools – including online game play – while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of evolving features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows PS3 users to upload, browse and comment on photos on sites such as Facebook and Picasa Web Album. PS3 users can also opt to share their photos between their PlayStation Network friends.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables users to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.*
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at two hours, providing users with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
Alongside the PS3 system update, the PSP will get a firmware update as well, v6.30, adding the PlayStation Plus service and other minor features.