November NPD data is in and for hardware it’s great news for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 while in software the big winner was expectedly, Activision’s CoD: Black Ops.
Total industry sales amounted to $2.99 billion, as software accounted for $1.46 billion (up by 4% from last year) and hardware claimed $1.08 billion (up 2%). Accessory sales stood at $413.13 million (a 69% increase).
According to NPD’s Anita Frazier:
“This is the best November on record in terms of new physical retail sales. It bests November 2008 by roughly $30 million, and that time frame was at the height of the music/dance genre sales.”
As mentioned earlier, Black Ops sold 8.4 million units in the US in just one month. In doing so it has become the seventh best selling game of all time in the span of 1 month.
Accessory sales were dominated by Microsoft’s Kinect. According to Anita Frazier:
“With one month of sales, it’s the top-selling accessory item in terms of dollar sales on a year-to-date basis. The Xbox 360 platform contributed five of the top ten accessory items for the month.”
Hardware Sales for November 2010
- Nintendo DS: 1.5 million
- Xbox 360: 1.4 million
- Wii: 1.2 million
- PS3: 530 000
Top Ten Software Sales for November 2010
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS) – Activision Blizzard
- Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3) – Ubisoft
- Just Dance 2 (Wii) – Ubisoft
- Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP) – EA
- Fable III (360) – Microsoft
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) – Nintendo
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PS3, 360, Wii, PC) – EA
- Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) – Sony
- NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP,PC) Take-2 Interactive
- Wii Fit Plus (Wii) – Nintendo