Today at CES, Nvidia and LG unveiled what they are touting as a true “super-phone” and it’s looking pretty damn super indeed.
Powered by Nvidia’s Tegra 2 chip – this phone is lightning fast – and is set to finally provide Android users with a truly world class gaming experience.
First, a little bit about the Tegra 2 from Nvidia:
- The Tegra 2 super chip turbocharges the super phone category and brings a new wave of devices to life with never-before-seen experiences.
- Dual-co ore ARM Cortex-A9 CPU – The world’s first mobile dual-core CPU for faster Web browsing, snappier response time and better overall performance.
- Ultra-lo ow powered (ULP) NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU – the ULPP GeForce GPU de elivers outstanding mobile 3D game playability and aa visually engaging, highly responsive 3D user interface
- 1080p Video Playback Processor – Watch 1080p HD movies stored on your mobile device on your HDTV, without compromising battery life.
That’s all well and good – but what about gaming? Can the Tegra 2 really provide Android users with a console quality gaming experience? Yes. Not only that, but you’ll be able to play multiplayer games against console and PC users, right on your phone.
Yes, you read that right. You can play multiplayer games against someone on a PS3 – from your Droid.
To illustrate this, Nvidia brought out Trendy entertianment to show off their new action-RPG Dungeon Defenders – which runs on Unreal 3. First, they showed it being played on PC – then they showed it being played with PSMove and then they showed it being played on the LG Optimus 2X. What was even more impressive however, was the fact that all three players were in the same game. The PC, PS3 and Droid players were all in the same multiplayer game of Dungeon Defenders at the same time – playing with each other. Now, I don’t know about you – but I think that’s pretty damn cool.
Now, you may be saying to yourself – “Holy hell, that must be one bad ass motherf**king cell phone!!” Well, it is – and here’s the specs on it:
- 4-inch WVGA screen
- 8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
- 1,500 mAh battery
- 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
- True HDMI mirroring
- 1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording
So, there you have it. Nvidia has teamed up with LG to unleash a new wave of Android superphones upon the world. They promise to deliver console quality multiplayer gaming to droid users – while at the same time vastly improving upon the speed and quality of the games you already play.
If that doesn’t do it for you, you can always hook the Optimus up to your big screen and play Angry Birds in full 1080p.
This article will be updated with more information, pictures and video (Yes, I have video of the game being played on all three platforms) from the conference – just as soon as I get some decent internet. #INeedADrink #PressDaySucks #CES