Earlier today, we reported that Deep Silver somehow accidentally released a 360 dev build as the PC version of Dead Island on Steam. This build was not only extremely buggy, but caused serious issues such as the deletion of all of your saved games. Well, the official and proper version has now been released and Deep Silver has issued a statement.
Here it is in its entirety:
· First, the correct version of the title is now available on Steam and fans are able to download it now.
· Second, the day 1 patch notes in their entirety are below. Please note that the lists circulating around the internet in the past day were not final. Also note that this update may cause incompatibilities between the incorrect version of Dead Island that was released and the fixed version and cause a wipe on saved games. We tried every avenue possible in order to avoid fans having to wipe their saved games and it’s important that fans are made aware of this ASAP. However, we have a solution to help regain some quest progress: When the game opens, select New Game -> Select the same character as you were using before, and then there will be an option for “Chapter Select” which will allow the player to jump to the last chapter they were playing in.
· Third, Deep Silver plans to announce a “make up” to fans who were affected by the day 1 PC issues, stay tuned in coming days for those details as internal discussions are ongoing on our end.
· Fourth, the Bloodbath DLC is still on schedule as planned – fans who preordered the title will still receive the Bloodbath DLC when it launches (date TBA shortly!) as stated previously.
· Fifth, we are aware of The Ripper activation bug which will not load as a result of the version update and this will be fixed in the next game update, coming soon.
Again, we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused to fans who wanted to spend their day crushing some zombie skulls. We are right there with you.
Fair enough. At least the issues are being addressed asap.
Here are the official and final day one patch notes:
Dead Island Patch Notes
Multiplayer and Matchmaking improvements
· Maps are now correctly synchronized when player joins during map loading
· Games now filter correctly in lobby
· After joining a coop game enemies now spawn correctly
User guidance improved. (Quest guidance, UI, shop)
Additional Interface polishing
· Map tracking now works correctly after loading checkpoints
· Health and stamina bars of enemies now display correctly in coop.
· Locations of invisible NPCs are no longer shown
· More than one player can now use the same ladder simultaneously
· Focus on items in shops is not changing after operation (sell, buy)
· Additional Interface polishing
· Fixed displaying gather rings near some door
Player death behavior improved
· Respawn position now saved when playing in cooperative mode
· If player dies whilst inside vehicle, menu will now be hidden
Save game mechanics extended
· Added distinction between quest checkpoints and other saves
Minor animation fixes
· AI animation now displays correctly after fast travel or travel through portals
· Improved enemy awareness (zombies)
· Enemies reaction to fire adapted
· Enemies are now able to successfully reach player on some arenas
· Shooting enemies no longer spawn infinitely
Balancing changes in difficulty
· Item level will be calculated correctly when playing in second playthrough
· Kick interrupting reload now adapted; after clip is inserted reload is treated as successful
· Health regeneration is now disabled during grab.
· More HP for all escorted NPCs
· Removed all instances of Butcher during escorts
· Purna can gain bonus rage from both “Grim Inspiration” and “Inspiring Kick”
· Only “Walker” type enemies increase the extra XP of the “Combo” skill from Xian’s Survival skill tree
Pause Option added
· Added information about players requesting pause (Co-op)
Looting rules improved
· Thrown items now cannot be picked up by another player for 5 minutes.
· Items from just-opened containers cannot be picked up by another player for 5 seconds.
Minor graphical glitches fixed.
· Rectified occasional graphical glitch with NPC’s hands bending awkwardly
· Animations now display correctly when trading
· Stomper animation now displays correctly when same target is hit by another player
Sound bugs fixed
· Volume of pickup’s engine has been increased
Quest bugs removed
· All side quests in Laboratory can now be successfully completed
· Potential walkthrough blocker removed when quest “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” is completed before talking to Dominik during “On the air” quest
So, there you have it. However, how will Deep Silver make it up to the people who were affected by these issues? I believe a free copy of Risen 1 or some free Risen 2 DLC is in order!!
In the meantime, be sure to check out the RipTen Review of Dead Island on Xbox 360 (that version totally works)