Who’s up for some video pinball? If you answered in any sort of positive manner (Me! Yes! Woot! etc.), chances are, you know about Zen Studios, who consistently put out fun, thoughtfully-themed and all-around enjoyable video pinball tables. Today, they announced that Zen Pinball 2 will be hitting the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita on September 4th. In a truly considerate move, these versions of the game will feature a rare instance of cross-platform entitlement. What does that mean? Simply put, a purchase of either version allows you to download the other free. Yes, you read that right: if you want pinball on the go, and grab Zen Pinball 2 for your Vita, you’ll be able to download the PS3 version at no charge.
Additionally, Zen Pinball 2 is a free upgrade for any who already own Zen Pinball or Marvel Pinball, and, even if you don’t own either of those, you’ll be able to download the pinball platform, and try out each individual table before committing to a purchase. The full list of Zen Pinball features is as follows:
- PlayStation®3 system and PlayStation®Vita system cross-platform entitlement including shared global leaderboards, online friend challenges and tournaments
- Zen Pinball 2 will launch with twenty-six tables!
- The most advanced ball physics simulation to date
- Compete against other players to achieve the highest ProScore™, and team up with your friends to increase your TeamScore™
- Exceptional visuals in full 3D on 3D compatible TV sets
- Free, fully playable demos for all available tables
- Exciting multiplayer modes, including local split-screen and hotseat multiplayer, online, and worldwide tournaments
- New tables released regularly through the PlayStation®Store
- Share your scores on Facebook
- New rule sheet format to help you achieve higher scores
- New trophies for each table
But that’s not all, video pinball fans. Oh, no. Zen Studios have also announced that they are partnering with PopCap Games to bring one of the casual-gaming juggernaut’s “mega-hits” to you in pinball form. To be revealed at PAX Prime later this month, this new table will be available for download alongside Zen Pinball 2 for all you PS3 and PSV gamers, and a day later, (September 5th), for those of you who prefer your video pinball on your Xbox 360.
My money is on this new table being based on Peggle: it’s the PopCap game that best loans itself to pinball form, and least as far as I can think of. Actually, Plants vs. Zombies might work, too, if it’s done right. And since it’s Zen, it probably would be. Feel free to disagree with my suggestions or make one of your own in the comments section.